Human Resources Manager
Asbex Ltd., parent of Asbex Environmental Contractors, a leader in environmental abatement, and Heritage
Grade, a leader in architectural restoration, is seeking a Human Resources professional to redefine and
champion its HR function. Founded in 1989, Asbex operates in both the Ottawa region and in Quebec.
Asbex is ready for the right person to join their team as the HR Manager and bring the organization to the
next level. Is that person you?
The Human Resources (HR) Manager will develop, implement, monitor, and evaluate all aspects of the HR
function for Asbex and Heritage Grade (collectively “Asbex”) including: staffing and recruitment,
compensation and benefits, employee and labour relations, performance management, workers
compensation, employee policies, training, and development. Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the
HR Manager will be serving as an objective resource to all employees and managers.
• Coordinate and oversee recruitment and selection and onboarding initiatives
• Develop and implement employee policies and procedures that are compliant with Asbex culture,
values, business needs, and legislation
• Monitor and respond to changing provincial and federal legislation affecting HR
• Advise on human resources practices as they relate to occupational health and safety.
• Oversee compensation and benefit programs, communication, and education to all staff
• Develop a relevant and sustainable performance review process
• Oversee the formation and implementation of training and development programs for all staff
• Facilitate talent reviews, workforce planning, organizational development initiatives as required
• Seek resolutions to employee relations and labour relations issues within the parameters of company
policies, employment legislation, and as relevant, the Collective Labour Agreement.
• Assist with negotiations and grievances as required.
• Undergraduate degree in business/human resources or related discipline or equivalent
• Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation or actively working towards completion with a
commitment to complete within one year
• 4 to 5 years progressive HR generalist experience with strong knowledge of relevant legislation (e.g.,
Employment Standards, Labour Relations, Human Rights, Health & Safety)
• Experience in the construction sector
• Experience working with unionized employees and collective agreements
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills (preferably in both official
• Strong critical analysis, problem-solving, planning, decision-making, and leadership skills.
• A proven track record of successfully meeting objectives with strong abilities to organize and prioritize
work, manage projects, be proactive.
• Experience, comfort, and ability to work with all levels of employees.
• Comfortable pushing back and dealing with complex matters with diplomacy, integrity, respect.
• Strong computer proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Occasional travel within Canada may be required
• Proven skills related to building effective partnerships, collaboration, staff engagement, team building, and mentoring.
• Must be able to obtain a PWGSC security clearance
If you have the passion, skills, and experience that Asbex is seeking, we invite you to send us your application in confidence to Irene Lis at email@example.com by April 16, 2021. Asbex is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified candidates.
Note: Criminal checks will be required of the successful candidate prior to hiring and is an ongoing requirement for Security Clearances.
Asbex is committed to providing accommodations for applicants with disabilities during all parts of the hiring process, upon request. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Thank you to all applicants in advance. We will be in contact only with those selected for an interview.